2020 Bill Introductions
Last Friday, February 21st, was the deadline for bills to be introduced for the 2020 Legislative Session. Notably, on this final day, 735 new bills introduced between the two houses. A total of 2,203 bills were introduced for 2020, of which 1,527 were Assembly measures and 676 were Senate measures. These figures do not include special session bills, constitutional amendments, or resolutions. It should also be noted that Committees can still introduce bills past the deadline. Further, of the legislation introduced, several measures are considered “spot bills” which make technical, non-substantive changes in the law as a placeholder for a later proposal.
The number of bill introductions for 2020 is consistent with those in prior years. Generally, the Legislature has introduced about 2,100 bills per year and the first year of the 2-year session usually has a higher number of bill introductions. By way of comparison, the following are the bill introduction totals from the past five years:
- Total 2019 bill introductions as of the deadline: 2,576
- Total 2018 bill introductions as of the deadline: 2,177
- Total 2017 bill introductions as of the deadline: 2,495
- Total 2016 bill introductions as of the deadline: 1,993
- Total 2015 bill introductions as of the deadline: 2,297
- Total 2014 bill introductions as of the deadline: 1,930
- Total 2013 bill introductions as of the deadline: 2,256
Over the course of the next several weeks, these measures will be referred to policy committees where they will be heard and ultimately voted on. Stay tuned...